Student Patrol offers an opportunity for young adults to become a member of the National Ski Patrol. Whether you ski or ride this program offers training in high-level first aid and ski and toboggan skills.
Requirements to join Wachusett Mountain Student Patrol
- You must be 15 years of age by November of year you enroll
- Commit to enrolling in an 8-week Outdoor Emergency Care Course
- Pass a ski or boarding test
- Committed to training every Sunday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Maintain good academic grades
- Pay yearly dues to the National Ski Patrol and purchase a red National Ski Patrol Jacket and pack
- All students are required to ski with an adult patroller when wearing the National Ski Patrol Jacket until they become an adult patroller
- All candidates must be willing to approach the general public in an "Excuse Me please" manner
Patrollers are taught to Assess, Alert, Treat, and Transport injured patrons in a safe and efficient manner.
As a student patroller expect, the following
- Student Patroller spends most of their time outdoors in the snow, therefore wearing layers and water-resistant clothing is a must
- All students must participate in role-playing with regards to acting in scenarios that create mock injuries
- Besides taking the 8-week OEC course, CPR certification is necessary
- Making ice packs, cutting cravats, controlling lift lines, picking up bamboo and litter are a few of the extracurricular activities expected of all student patrollers